1/11/2014

The best wearable of all times: Nothing.



I lost my cool Casio watch when I was 12. My parents asked me if I wanted a new one, but I said no.

I somehow don't like the feeling of wearing anything. When mobile phones appeared, I was one of the happiest men in the world. Do you know which is the most used function of mobile phones? Checking the time. So, I was glad to have something in my pocket and not on my wrist that can show me the time. But today I think the best would be just to know the time somehow, without any device.

I could also manage, for years, to live my life without a bag. I tried to pack everything in my pockets that made me look like someone with genetically modified thighs. But I hated carrying an object, not being able to move around freely, and the stress of thinking about losing something.

Today's technology seems to go into two main directions. Some companies are working on different objects we should wear like Google Glass or Pebble. Others invest into fingerprint and iris identification, gesture control, things that free people of actually keeping something with them but still enabling them to operate a system.

I think the latter is a much more important field. The main reason for innovation is to make life easier. The less things we carry, the less passwords we have to remember, the less cards we need to put in our wallet, the better we feel.

Wouldn't it be a beautiful world if we could leave home in the morning without being worried about what we wear on our wrist, our head, or what we have in our pockets? Research says that the worst nightmare of people nowadays is not having an accident or being attacked by the great white shark. It is losing their mobiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment